Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Makeup Trial

On Sunday, I solicited help from two of the most makeup savvy people I know. Mary and Myriah. If you know me at all, you know I don't really wear makeup. Occasionally I'll pull some out for Sunday or something 'special'. But as I near the tender age of 31 (yikes), I wonder if I should take more control of my outward appearance. I mean, I take control over how my body looks and feels...why not my face? Here are the reasons holding me back:

1. It takes too long to apply and to take off (how annoying is mascara and eyeliner to remove anyway!!)
2. I don't know how to do it. I'm not joking on this. My previous makeup knowledge was mascara, eyeliner and very subtle complete lid/upper eye single color eye shadow (on a good day). I've never taken the time to learn how to apply makeup properly so that it will look right.
3. My make-up stash is sparse.
4. Do I really need it to look nice?

Anyway...Mary and Myriah taught me how to apply makeup correctly and I think it looks pretty good. So, I've decided to try a week of makeup so as to retain the knowledge they lent me. What does this mean? Every morning as I get ready, I take 5 minutes (at least) to apply makeup. Foundation (subtle stuff), blush, eye shadow (more than one shade), liner and mascara. The whole deal. At night, I wash it all off (this is a big one for me...even when I would wear makeup I'd wait till I showered the next morning to get it off and I don't normally wash my face at night (gasp!)). I've done it 2 days in a row (by myself!). By the end of the week, I'll decide if it is something I want to keep doing or not. The hardest part for me is getting the eye makeup off at night. Am I the only one that doesn't like washing their face? I guess that's where my kids get it :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm totally like you, in that I don't wash my face at night....but I do wear makeup most days (eye shadow - more than one shade, mascara, and blush). I don't really know what I'm doing though. I learned how to do it one way and have done it that way for almost 5 years. Whenever I try something else I think it looks weird.

Good luck. You might have to teach me some skills.

Marissa of Ris C Handmade said...

I hate taking my eye make-up off at night too, so I don't. I wash my face, but I don't bother with washing off the eye make-up. Some of it comes off anyway though. When I used to wash it everyday, my eyes would get all irritated and dried out. The bonus is that I only have to touch it up in the morning so it takes less time and uses less make-up! Just make sure that you use hypoallergenic make-up.

Rixa said...

I totally know nothing about makeup and 2nd your thing about the pain of washing it off...so for now, mascara gets put on about once a year for "special" events and that's about it.

Melanie said...

I would recommend staying away from the foundation---your skin is just lovely and I think it does more damage to the pores than good. Sounds fun though! You should post some Deb Glamour shots (http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/170000/170588_1237846234047_320_240.jpg).

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sparklebot said...

There is special eye make-up remover. But, like your other friend said, you don't really need to. You need to wash your face to get the foundation and stuff off--but eye makeup can be a pain without the special remover. It will come off in the shower the next day.

Unknown said...

So, how's it going? You still like it. I remember those Sundays when you wore make-up, I'd be like, "Man. If she can do it, I should be able too!" You were always so inspiring.