Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Alternate Forms of Transportation

On the way to playgroup Thursday, I quickly realized our Forester was on the fritz. I turned us around and managed to make it home. Since then we have essentially been carless (we drove it to Church). This has given us a chance to explore alternate forms of transportation.

Friday, we decided to go to the Children's Museum. Walking, it is only 2.2 miles from our house. Not a bad walk with the Cougar.
Wade was very glad we went.
The girls were especially excited they got ice cream.

On Saturday, Brandon was scheduled to run the IKEA Half-Marathon. De Novo Pittsburgh (he and Brad) were also scheduled to treat there. Brad picked Brandon up early and headed out. I had been anticipating this race for quite a while and didn't want to miss out. Using google maps, we quickly found a route to IKEA. I put Wade in the backpack and we headed out. The total trip took about an hour, about twice the time it would have taken in car.

This picture doesn't even come close to describe the excitement Elle and Bryn enjoyed on the bus. But, juggling 3 children and taking pictures on a topsy turvy bus proved to be difficult. So, that's all you get. Now that I am a little more familiar with Pittsburgh public transport, I'm sure I could get more pictures.
I enjoy living somewhere I don't feel competely isolated when our car is out of sorts. My dream is to someday live in a place where I could walk to EVERYTHING. Church. School. Work. Shopping. Parks. Trails. Sporting and Cultural Events. That would be my heaven. I'm an urban dweller.



Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Jodie! That's impressive. Bryn and Elle look super scared in that bus. Is your car fixable?

Bronwyn said...

Sounds like Raymond!

Dad

Unknown said...

That is a super cute picture of Wade! Glad you got to check out the buses. Your idea of walking to everything is totally my haven too. I'd love that.

Myriah Cohen said...

A few questions:

Do the girls always get dressed up for races?

Do you get sticky when you hold Bryn?

Play group?! You have three children and you need to go to play group? There is so much I still have to learn...

Jodie said...

Myriah-
A few answers:

I let the girls choose what clothes they want to wear. This particular day they were being princesses. If anyone could understand this, it would be you...empress.

Bryn is pretty sticky. And I have gotten sticky before from her. It's just her personality (and hygiene).

Playgroup is a great time for me. Mostly because I get to sit and talk with other Moms while my children run wild. Playgroup is really just a disguise for me to hang out with the ladies.

Jodie said...

Dad-

If only Raymond had a Children's Museum and IKEA!