Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Today I Became a Runner

This is a post extracted from Brandon's journal:

Today I became a runner.

When I was in junior high school I ran a mile in 5:55, but today I became a runner.

When I was a freshman in high school I went to a cross country team practice, but today I became a runner.

When I was a sophmore in college I ran my first race, it was a 5k, but today I became a runner.

Three years ago I spent $100 on a pair of shoes for the first time in my life (Mizuno Alchemy 5), but today I became a runner.

Two years ago I bought a $10 dri-fitlike t-shirt, but today I became a runner.

I ran my first 10k and 20k in 2006, but today I became a runner.

Last year I bought some shorter shorts at Walmart to run in, but today I became a runner.

I ran the Seneca Falls Convention Days race in back to back years, but today I became a runner.

I ran the Deuce, but today I became a runner.

My nipples have chaffed and been incredibly sore following multiple races/runs, but today I became a runner.

I signed up to run a marathon on September 29, but today I became a runner.

Last month I bought a new pair of running shorts (Pearl Izumi, 5 inch inseam, built in briefs, a pocket for GU) on clearance in California, but today I became a runner.

I have run 20 miles 3 times, but today I became a runner.

Today was my last "long run" before the big race. It was to be a fast 12 mile jaunt through the back roads of Seneca Falls. I put on my fancy shorts, fancy shirts, old school Oakley's, my worn "I took it all off for cancer" hat, laced up the mizunos and my runner specific socks, taped my nipples, and set off.

I was somewhere along Farron Road headed north, and running at "an incredible rate" when I felt something inside me...it was telling me that when I got back to the school I would need to visit the little boy's room then...

I realized that this was a feeling that I could not hide, and in a matter of 10 seconds, I had left the road and was like a bear in the woods between a soybean field and a row of trees along the side of the road. I looked around and grab a leaf from a near by oak tree. That didn't get the job done, so I reached for the soybean leaf, it was a little furry and wet, but I didn't care.

After half a clean up job, I continued on...I felt terrible like I should stop, but the runner inside me urged me to carry on, and my feelings soon changed from "oh, crap" to "what bliss." I couldn't believe how happy I was to be out there running after having the runs on the side of the road. Let's just say I'm not going to be eating any Clif bars an hour within the marathon.


Laura said...

All I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!

Kelley said...

Hmmm... This very situation plagued me when I was training for MY marathon. I can totally relate.

Melanie said...

That was a very poetic and inspiring post.

Xiaoshan said...

At least you didn't have to use a Chinese public toilet - that's all I have to say.

Myriah said...


The first half sealed my contemplations that you actually work for Hallmark or American Greetings and are not really going to chiropractic school at all.
That first half teased me, urged me along, dancing before my eyes with steady rhythm and movement, building up to the second half which was utterly disgusting. It turns out you had some build up.
It was sick.
Sick in a gross way.
Not sick in a dope way.
I guess you couldn't have just powered through it?

I am currently searching for a visual of the soybean leaf on the internet.