Monday, May 18, 2009

Stinger

Our back street neighbors gave us their old swing set this week (Yipee!). I have it positioned outside so I can look out the dining room or kitchen window and be able to watch the kids. So, the troops were all out there when I hear Bryn let out a scream. This scream meant business. It was a 'I've cut off my arm' scream. A scream that would send my sister Laura into cardiac arrest. So, I go outside to see Bryn bowed legged and walking on her the tiptoes of her left foot and normally on her right foot. Strange. It was a warped version of the dance she does when she is just about to go pee. I was confused, brought her inside and tried to figure out what was wrong. She kept pointing at her foot. So, I looked and saw a splinter like thing in her left foot. I pulled it out and realized it was the stinger of a bee (or a wasp...I can't tell the difference). Luckily she is not allergic to bee stings and she had some minor swelling. Nothing some Phineas and Ferb can't calm.

This was first experience with a bee sting. Do you remember yours?

6 comments:

Bronwyn said...

this brings back memories of when we were camping with all the "women" in the ward in Philomath, Oregon- and there was this big 4 inch wide tree branch stuck into a hole in the ground. You and Laura were riding on the branch and moving it back and forth- while you were wearing your nightgowns, because we were ready to climb into the bed in the back of the van- only to realize later 9when we got inside the van) that there was a wasp's nest inside the hole, and that the tree branch was put there to stop people from getting into the hole- so the wasps all flew up under both of your nightgowns, and when we got in the van, all of a sudden, you and Laura started screaming and jumping up and down and going crazy- I didn't know what was happening, but pretty quickly we had all the doors and windows open and we were out of the van- you guys were down to your underwear, and were- along with other girls that had been doing the same thing- crying your eyes out. It took us awhile to get everyone settled down, and to sleep that night. Do you remember this incident?? Mom

Jodie said...

Hmmm...I do have a vague memory of this. But, with a sister like Laura that remembers EVERYTHING, I don't need to remember. So, Laura do you remember?

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kent said...

I seem to remember clapping my hands once to squish a bee in midair. And I succeeded. and my hand got stung.

Dr. Freeze said...

Never been stung. Trick is to think like a bee. Bzzzzz I AM

DR FREEZE

Marissa of Ris C Handmade said...

I too have never been stung, but if there is a mosquito within a 5 mile radius, it will find me.